Long Term Effects of Untreated Varicose Veins
Ignoring any potential health concerns, such as your varicose veins, can lead to serious long-term consequences. While it might seem inconvenient or worrisome to visit a doctor, getting a proper assessment and timely treatment can make a significant difference in preventing further complications.
Understanding the Risks of Untreated Varicose Veins
Varicose veins, which are enlarged and twisted veins primarily found in the legs and feet, should not be disregarded. They are caused by caused by weak vein walls and valves. When the valves become weakened or damaged, blood can collect in the veins, causing them to become enlarged and bulge out. Failing to address these veins can lead to long-lasting consequences and complications. This article aims to delve into the risks associated with varicose veins and emphasize the necessity of intervention to prevent complications.
Are You Prone to Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins can affect anyone. Certain factors increase the likelihood of developing them. If you spend prolonged periods standing or sitting, have a family history of varicose veins, are pregnant overweight or lead a sedentary lifestyle you are more susceptible to this condition. Understanding your risk factors empowers you to take measures and seek attention or make lifestyle changes if necessary.
What do varicose veins include? Understand the symptoms of varicose veins, different types, causes, and more with our helpful blog post and video on varicose veins. It may involve several factors such as family history, hormone levels, and high blood pressure to develop varicose veins. Don’t let these blood clots last long term and become complications of varicose veins.
Recognizing Symptoms of Untreated Varicose Veins
Identifying the signs of neglected varicose veins is crucial for effective intervention. Some common symptoms indicating varicose veins include:
- Enlarged, twisted or bulging veins in the legs and feet.
- Aching or throbbing pain in the legs after prolonged periods of standing or sitting.
- Feeling fatigued in the legs.
- Noticing a rash around the affected veins.
Complications of Untreated Varicose Veins
To prevent complications associated with varicose veins it’s essential for individuals to be aware of the symptoms and seek attention when necessary. If you notice any of the following situations it is crucial to consult with a healthcare professional;
- Increased pain in your legs.
- Changes in the skin around the veins, such as redness, swelling or ulcers.
- Sudden swelling occurs in one leg.
- Bleeding from varicose veins due to thinning of the skin over time.
Neglecting Treatment for Varicose Veins Can Have Impacts On Your Quality of Life
The long-term effects of varicose veins can vary according to severity but include complications such as:
- Pain and discomfort: Untreated varicose veins can cause pain and discomfort that may limit your activities.
- Swelling in the legs: The increased pressure within the veins can lead to edema resulting in swelling and discomfort.
- Risk of infection: Scratching the skin around varicose veins can potentially lead to infections that might be difficult to treat.
- Blood clot formation (thrombosis): Clots forming within the veins pose a risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which could potentially lead to embolism if a clot dislodges and travels to the lungs.
- Thrombophlebitis: This is a condition characterized by inflammation in the veins, which can cause discomfort such as pain, swelling and redness. As the skin around the veins becomes thinner over time, there is a possibility of experiencing bleeding due to increased vulnerability to injuries.
- Ulcers: Chronic venous ulcers can result in unhealed wounds increasing the risk of infection. Itchy and inflamed skin can progress into dermatitis or eczema causing discomfort and irritation.
- Lipodermatosclerosis: This is a condition where the skin hardens and changes color resembling leather in appearance.
The Supreme Vascular and Interventional Clinic Varicose Veins and Spider Veins Treatment Options
Addressing varicose veins promptly is essential to minimize any long-term effects. Treatment options and techniques include lifestyle changes such as using compression stockings, sclerotherapy, laser ablation or surgery. Seeking advice is crucial to prevent worsening of the condition and reduce the likelihood of long-term complications.
Taking action can significantly improve your prognosis while helping prevent further health issues. It’s important not to underestimate the importance of preventing varicose veins. Learn more about the best practices to follow on our blog post, “How to Prevent Varicose Veins”. Ignoring them could lead to health problems that can greatly affect your life. By being mindful of the risks, recognizing symptoms and seeking care you can actively take responsibility for your health.
If you suspect you have varicose veins, contact us today. At Supreme Vascular and Interventional Clinic, our friendly and helpful staff are standing by to answer all your questions.
Consult a Vascular Specialist for Your Varicose Veins and Spider Veins
Dr. Manish Taneja, a certified vascular and varicose veins specialist in Singapore, has extensive experience in the treatment of all vascular interventions and looks after venous diseases like varicose veins, spider veins, and reticular veins. Come in for a further evaluation and arrange your appointment today.
Varicose Veins Resources
Keep Varicose Veins and Spider Veins at Bay
If your legs feel sore persistently, achy when standing long periods, or maybe you notice blue or purple veins even bulging in the area, chances are these symptoms of varicose veins and spider veins could lead to other serious venous diseases such as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Chronic Venous Insufficiency (CVI), or Leg Swelling due to increased pressure forming larger blood clots over time. Varicose veins are fully treatable with minimally invasive procedures and treatments offering minimal downtime and quick recovery preventing further complications. Long term effects of untreated varicose veins can hinder your daily life and impact your health.
The Supreme Vascular and Interventional Clinic in Singapore is here to diagnose and treat varicose veins smoothening patients’ experience to find relief and comfort. As a vascular and interventional radiology specialist based in Singapore, Dr. Manish Taneja looks after a spectrum of venous diseases, peripheral vascular malformations, and peripheral arterial disease. Dr. Manish Taneja also has extensive experience in performing all vascular interventions, non-vascular interventions and interventional oncology procedures.
Other Health Conditions